“Everyone Wanted Us To Go To War”: Nick Kyrgios Sorry Not To Face Rafael Nadal

“Everyone Wanted Us To Go To War”: Nick Kyrgios Sorry Not To Face Rafael Nadal

Nick Kyrgios said on Friday that he was disappointed not to face Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon, announcing that “everyone wanted us to go to war there”. The controversial Australian was given a free pass in Sunday’s final when 22-time winners Nadal withdrew from the semi-finals due to a stomach injury. Kyrgios, one of the game’s most talented but divisive characters, is in his first major in the majors at the age of 27. If he had faced Nadal, it would have been his third match at Wimbledon.

Kyrgios won his first victory as the 144th-ranked wildcard in 2014, before Nadal took revenge in a hurricane three years ago.

“We’ve had a lot of run-ins, a lot of fights,” said Kyrgios, who has won three of his nine matches.

“I’m sure at the end of the day everyone wants us to go to war. I hope he gets better now.

“Obviously you would never want to see someone who is so important to the game, go down with that kind of injury. I’m sure I’ll play it on the big stage again.”

Earlier on Friday, Kyrgios posted a message of goodwill to Nadal on Instagram.

“Different players, different personalities. Farafaelnadal I hope you recover and we all hope to see you healthy soon – until next time.”

In Sunday’s final, No. 40 Kyrgios will face six-time Wimbledon champion Novak Djokovic for the title.

Kyrgios had never before advanced to Salem’s quarter-finals before his current tour of the All England club.

He made it to the last eight on his 2014 debut and reached the quarter-finals in Australia in 2015, but his career has been more volatile than ever since.

“I never thought I’d be here at all, to be honest with you,” he said.

“But I’m just so proud and I’m ready to go. I’m going to give him my all and we’ll see what happens.”

Kyrgios admitted that the prospect of playing in his first Grand Slam final had upset him.

“I probably got an hour’s sleep with everything, like excitement. I was very anxious. I was already very nervous, and I don’t usually feel nervous,” he said. Said

Kyrgios has been in the headlines at Wimbledon this year.

His stunning shots include $ 14,000 in fines, spitting at fans and a bitter blow to third-round opponent Stefanos Tsitsipas.

The Greek accused him of having an “evil side” and being a “bully.”

On Friday morning, he woke up to a British newspaper headline calling his passage in the final “Wimbledon’s worst nightmare.”

Promoted.

“If that’s what they want to write, I guess that’s what they want to write. I can only control what I do,” Kyrgios said.

“I’m just going to go there and enjoy this moment. Only eight people have won this title, like eight since I was born. I’m going to give it my best shot.”

Topics covered in this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.