Visas pending for the Indian contingent for next week’s World Shooting Parasport World Cup in Chattanooga, France, were cleared on Saturday after initial rejection by the Indian government due to last-minute interference. Despite the intervention of the Indian government, six members of the contingent, including double paralympic medalist Sanghraj Adhana, were initially denied visas to visit France.
But the Sports Authority of India (SAI) later said that the visas of the remaining members of the contingent had been cleared by the French embassy following the second intervention of the Ministry of Sports and the Ministry of External Affairs.
SAI said, “The pending visas of 3 players and 4 paramilitary personnel of the Indian parachute squad going to France for the competition have been cleared by the French embassy following further requests from MYAS and MEA. The team left for France tomorrow. It will happen, “said SAI. In a tweet
The Indian team is expected to arrive in France on time for the event, which is scheduled to begin on June 6, according to the International Paralympic Committee’s website. The issue of visa denial came to light when Tokyo Paralympic Games gold medalist shooter Oni Lekhara took to Twitter to ask for help after his escort and mother Shivata Juria and coach Rakesh Manpat were denied visas.
Avani later confirmed the visa was approved by the French embassy here.
“I got the visa, I’m leaving tomorrow. Thank you for everything that happens in life!” He tweeted.
Earlier, speaking to PTI from the airport, Chief National Coach and Chairman of Indian Para Shooting J Prakash Nautiyal said that Lekhara and his coach Manpat’s visas have been cleared.
“Avani and his coach were given visas, but his bodyguard, who is also his mother, did not get his visa,” Notial said.
In addition, three para shooters – Sanghraj, Rahul Jhakhar and Deepinder Singh (all para pistol shooters) and two coaches Subhash Rana (national coach) and Vivek Sini (assistant coach) did not get visas.
“The French embassy did not give any reason, only said that there was a huge increase in visas. We applied for our visas on April 23 and all were sure to be cleared. The Foreign Ministry also intervened. However, six members’ visas were denied.
The event is significant for Indian para-shooters as it was the venue for the Paris Paralympic quotas.
“We are now leaving with a 22-member contingent, including 14 shooters. We were confident that all members’ visas would be cleared as Paris will host the next Paralympics and will offer 18 quota seats in the 2024 Paralympics. Will be done, said Nautiyal.
Topics covered in this article