Rafael Nadal has amassed a record 22 Grand Slam titles, but his injured career has undoubtedly snatched even more money. On Thursday, his physical weakness returned when he was ruled out of Wimbledon due to a stomach injury, just a day before he was due to face Nick Kyrgios in the semi-finals. Prior to his latest blow, he had already missed 11 Grand Slam events until his debut in 2003. He has now been out five times during Saleem.
Prior to Thursday’s bombing, he retired from his 2010 and 2018 Australian Open quarterfinals (knee and leg injury) and the 2018 US Open semifinals.
At the 2016 French Open, he played two rounds before being forced to recover from a wrist injury.
In stark contrast, career-long rival Novak Djokovic played every slam from 2005 to the 2017 US Open, in which he suffered an elbow injury.
It was an unbeaten run of 51 majors.
Djokovic’s only other other Grand Slam absences were 2020 Wimbledon, which was canceled due to the corona virus epidemic, and this year’s Australian Open, when he was deported as a vaccine.
Nadal missed his first injury in 2003 at the age of 16 when he fell while training, injured his elbow and missed the French Open.
The 36-year-old has since been forced to miss at least one tournament each year of his career.
Nadal has suffered knee and foot injuries, as well as hamstring pulses, a torn wrist tendon and abdominal strain, among other problems.
He even played briefly with bandaged fingers after accidentally burning himself in a restaurant in 2011, when he missed the end of the 2014 season due to appendicitis.
‘The main tournament’
Despite missing out on so many events, Nadal’s incredible desire to win has led him to 92 titles and 1,063 victories on the tour.
When he failed to reach a Grand Slam semi-final in 2015 and 2016, many wondered if his career was coming to an end, but since then he has won eight more Slam titles.
On Thursday, he insisted that this was not the end of the road, even predicting that he would return to the court in a week and play tournaments in a month.
“I hope these three, four weeks will allow me to make my usual calendar,” Nadal said, noting that the US Open, the last Grand Slam of the year, he could not remember last year. Yes, starting August 29.
“I did my best to give myself a chance here. Even it makes me feel a little bad because I felt that at the level I’m playing, maybe I’ll get a chance. ۔ “
Nadal has faced more difficulties over the past year.
A left foot injury forced him to miss last year’s Wimbledon, the US Open and the Olympics in Tokyo.
In this year’s Indian Wells final, a rib fracture ended a 20-match winning streak, including the Australian Open title.
His 14th French Open victory in June was made possible by anesthesia of his left foot to ease chronic pain.
He said immediately after the victory in Paris that he would hear the pain on his feet and go through the radio frequency.
Nadal then admitted that his career was in balance.
“It’s clear that in the circumstances in which I’m playing, I can’t and I don’t want to continue,” he said at the time.
On Thursday, he said that the treatment he received after Roland Garros had given him optimism about his future.
“Roland Garros was very demanding. But after that, things were getting better,” Nadal said.
“The fact that I was here shows how important this tournament is to me and how much I wanted to play here.”
Topics covered in this article