Simon Byles, Eli Reissman and other star American gymnasts filed a 1 billion lawsuit against the FBI on Wednesday for mishandling a sexual assault investigation by former hunting doctor Dr. Larry Nasr. Nasir, 58, is serving a life sentence in late 2017 and early 2018 while working as a sports medicine doctor at USA Gymnastics and Michigan State University for sexually abusing athletes. Hundreds of women – including Olympic gold medalist Biles, Raeesman and McKayla Maroni – have accused Nasser of sexual abuse during his more than two-decade career.
Byles, Reisman and Maroni are among more than 90 women who have filed a federal tart claim against the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the law firms handling the case said in a joint statement.
“The majority of the plaintiffs are more than 90 young women and girls who have been abused since 2015 because of the FBI’s failure to take the necessary steps to protect them,” she said.
The allegations against the FBI come days after the Justice Department announced that it was not bringing any charges against the two now retired FBI special agents who mishandled Nasr’s investigation.
“My fellow survivors and I were deceived by every organization that was supposed to protect us – the American Olympic Committee, the USA Gymnastics, the FBI and now the Department of Justice,” Maroni said in a statement. Said in a statement.
“I had some hope that he would stick to his word and hold the FBI accountable,” he said. “It is clear that the only way to get justice and healing is through legal action.”
Law firms said the FBI received credible complaints about Nasr’s sexual assault in July 2015 and “since then it has been able to eliminate Nasr’s victim immediately.”
“However, the FBI was grossly neglecting its duties by refusing to interview gymnasts who were willing to talk about abuse.”
“As a result, Nasr continued his predatory behavior, raping about 90 young women and children between July 28, 2015 and September 12, 2016,” he added.
An FBI spokesman declined to comment on the lawsuit, but cited reporters who testified before FBI Director Christopher Ray’s testimony before a Senate committee in September 2021.
Addressing Nasr’s victims, Ray said: “I’m really sorry that there were people in the FBI who had a chance to stop this monster in 2015 and they failed.”
“It’s unforgivable,” said the FBI director. “It should never have happened. And we’re doing everything in our power to make sure it never happens again.”
Nasr’s victims signed a 80 380 million deal with USA Gymnastics last year, the largest ever record for rape victims.
USA Gymnastics filed for bankruptcy in 2018 when a wave of accusations against Nasser swept the organization.
Michigan State University settled 2018 500 million in 2018 with hundreds of Nasr victims.
Topics covered in this article