Tiger Woods Says He Will Miss US Open Next Week

Tiger Woods Says He Will Miss US Open Next Week

File image of Tiger Woods.AFP

Tiger Woods announced on Tuesday that he would not play in next week’s US Open in Brooklyn to recover from a serious leg injury sustained in a car accident last year. The 15-time major champion withdrew from the PGA Championship last month after the third round. “I had earlier informed (USGA) USGA that I would not be competing in @usopengolf because my body needed more time to become strong for the big championship golf,” Woods tweeted, adding that Still planning to play in the British Open. St. Andrews, starting July 14.

“I’m excited to be back soon.”

After a car accident in February 2021 and the need for surgery to repair his right leg, the 46-year-old returned to the Masters in April.

He made cuts at PGA in Augusta National and Southern Hills, where he was knocked out after the third-biggest round of his career.

The American is a three-time US Open champion, the last of whom won the title at the Tory Pines in 2008 when he denied a left knee injury to win the playoffs.

Woods said he was still planning to “get ready to play in Ireland” at the JP McManus Pro M Tournament a week before the British Open.

He lifted the Claret Jug twice in 2000 and 2005 in St. Andrews, Scotland.

Promoted.

Woods, now ranked 881st in the world, had previously returned from spinal fusion surgery in 2017 to win his most recent major title at the Masters three years ago.

According to US media reports, Woods turned down a major offer to join the Saudi-sponsored LIV Golf International Series, which is holding its opening ceremony in England this week.

Topics covered in this article

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.